Saturday, January 29, 2022

దేవుడంకుల్ ఇప్పుడిక్కడుంటలేడు

A poem I wrote a couple of months ago after seeing the horrific image in The Guardian of a fish that seemed to have choked on plastic debris. I sent it to Purnima garu and Rohith, and they thought it was good enough to be sent for publication. I then sent it to Meheranna, with some trepidation, who initially liked it but a few weeks later said it needed to be improved for publication in Andhra Jyothy. By then I was able to see it more objectively and couldn't convince myself that it was good enough to warrant publication, an idea I was enamoured by earlier. 

So here it is. Oh, and one more thing: The first line was my first title for the post that later became the video essay The Godless Universe. It was renamed as earthbound because I was so disappointed with the patchy post that I didn't want to waste the inspired title. Funny.

--

దేవుడంకుల్ ఇప్పుడిక్కడుంటలేడు
ఎటు పోయిండో తెల్వది

ఇగో ఈ నామం గాళ్ళకి అపజెప్పిండట
ఏమో ఎవరో తెల్వది మాకు

కేరళలో ఎవడో లుచ్చగాడు పాపం
ఏనుక్కి బాంబు తినబెట్టిండట
అటు గిన పోయిండేమో

లేక సముద్రంల చిన్న చిన్న చేపల్
ప్లాస్టిక్ ముక్కల్ తిని అరగక సస్తున్నయట
వాటిని సూడబోయిండేమో
మరి తెల్వది మాకేం చెప్పలె

పక్షుల్ గిన ఆసిడ్ బావుల నీళ్ళు తాగి
ఉడికి ఉడుకి సస్తున్నయట
ఆస్ట్రేలియాల అడవుల్
తగలబడుతున్నైయట

ఆర్క్టిక్ ల మంచు ఎలుగుబంట్లు
నిల్వజాగా లేక మునిగి సస్తున్నయట
ఆడేడికన్న పోయిండేమో మరి
ఏం చెప్పలె మాకు

ఏంది ఎప్పుడొస్తడంటవా?
అసలొస్తడంటవా?
అయినా ఆడొచ్చేదాక మనముంటమా ఏంది
మనమే పోం
ఈడ ఏం మిగల్చం
రానీ వాపస్ ఆడ్ని, ఏం పీక్తడొచ్చి

ఇప్పుడ్గవన్నీ ఎందుక్ రా
దా, పక్కకూర్సో
ప్రపంచం తగలబడతా ఉంది
సమ్మగ, వెచ్చగ సలి కాచుకుందం

దేవుడంకుల్ ఇప్పుడిక్కడుంటలేడు
ఎటు పోయిండో తెల్వది మరి

No comments: