Tuesday, March 5, 2019

a glorious walk back home at dusk

  • Good evening, how are you today?
  • I'm very good, thanks, how're you?
  • I'm good.. So how would you like it
  • Really short on the sides and back.. not so short on the top and front.
  • Sure
  • [Nodding at the posters of Sunil Shetty, Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar, Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Shahid Kapoor] Do you watch Bollywood movies?
  • Yeah man, I love Hindi movies.. Watch them a lot
  • Cool.. Who's your favourite actor?
  • In Hindi, or English?
  • Hindi
  • Aamir Khan.. 
  • Yeah, Aamir's great
  • ..and Akshay Kumar
  • His comedy is excellent
  • I watched that film recently.. Bahoobali.. It was awesome
  • Yeah, it's a really good movie.. I'm actually from that place.. Baahubali was made in my language, it's called Telugu
  • Yeah, Telegu.. I know.. I also watched that movie.. [snaps his fingers and stops cutting].. Er, the one in Chennai.. A lot of people go in trains
  • Robo-?
  • Yeah, Robot.. It was really great.. Indians spend a lot of money on movies.. [A news item comes up on TV about the separation of Bhutanese conjoined twins] That's great man.. That's great.. You have a lot of people in India?
  • Yeah, we do.. But they're not Indian, I think they're Bhutanese
  • Yeah
  • Where are you from?
  • Me.. I'm from Iran man
  • Man, I love your films.. Kiarostami, Jafar Panahi, Majid Majidi.. Children of Heaven.. Panahi made a film called The Circle.. I love it
  • Yeah.. and the music man
  • I don't know about the music but I love your films.. Asghar Farhadi is Iranian right?
  • Yeah, you know about him?
  • Yeah, I love his Separation
  • That's nice man
  • Since when are you in Australia?
  • Since 1985.. Like 35 years now
  • Wow! You've only been in Sydney?
  • Me?! No, I've lived in all places.. all over Australia
  • What place do you like the most?
  • I love Melbourne.. The weather is not good but it's a beautiful city.. I had a shop there but not much money.. So I moved here
  • Yeah.. Can you make it shorter at the top?
  • Yeah.. Sydney has 7 million people.. It's good.. It's like Mumbai.. I used to think Mumbai is the capital of India.. People think Sydney is the capital of Australia.. But it's only the financial capital
  • Yeah
  • So, you've been here long?
  • No, just about two months now
  • What do you do?
  • I'm a software guy.. Lot of Indians are moving to Australia because of Software jobs
  • But why? Tell me honestly, is it more money?
  • Yeah, that's one part but more than that there's better lifestyle here.. India has too many people and too much pollution.. If you want more money, you're better off in America or England.. But people don't want to go to England anymore because of Trump
  • Haha.. Donald Trump.. Really, why?
  • [Indicating] Can you make it shorter at the top?.. Because he's made it harder for anyone to immigrate.. And people are not getting jobs.. Immigrants, Indians, Muslims..
  • Yeah man
  • [Nodding at the news about a Rugby match] Since I've been here, I've been trying to understand Rugby and Footy.. But there are so many types- NFL, NRL and all that and there are so many rules
  • [Laughing] No worries, you'll get the hang of it.. When I came I didn't understand anything either
  • Iran is so rich in culture.. [Holding the hair at the top] Ca-
  • Yeah, I'll make it shorter.. 
  • I've read translation of Rumi and Amir Khusrau
  • Oh Khusrau yeah
  • Urdu, the language spoken in South India, is based on Farsi
  • Yeah man I know.. [rattling off words]Bos, Kam, Sapheyd, Haraam..
  • [Laughing] Haraam.. Yeah, man.. 
  • That's how I understand a little bit of Hindi movies
  • [Getting up and looks at the hair in the rear mirror] Looks good, thanks
  • [Reaches out a hand] Nathan.. It's actually *inaudible* but here everyone calls me Nathan
  • Addy.. [Handing out a 50]
  • Do you have a 20?
  • Nope
  • Sure, no problem.. [Giving back the change] Thanks.. See ya
  • Sure.. Asalaam Vaalekum
  • [Grinning] Vaalekum Asalam
  • I'm from Hyderabad actually
  • Oh! Yeah, it's a beautiful place
  • Yeah, famous for Hyderabadi Biryani
  • And Irani Chai
  • Yeah.. It's beautiful.. And people speak Urdu there
  • Yeah.. Hindus, Musilms, Sikhs live together there.. So nice
  • India is like that.. Used to be like that I think
  • Good day
  • See ya

1 comment:

dheeraj kashyap said...

Crisp, honest. I liked it.