Thursday, March 25, 2010

Love, Sex aur Dhokha



Ages since I wrote about a film. Rather abnormal for me. Not that I didn't want to write. Just that I've been lazy to put things down. But with LSD, I have to cross that barrier. I have to write about this movie or I'd be doing injustice to my feelings.

Love, Sex aur Dhoka , ain't that rather brave for a Hindi film. To hell, DB breaks all barriers about the reach and spectrum of Indian Cinema. No popular Indian Cinema has ever been so brave and novel in its approach. Dibakar Banerjee brings an on-the-face film which is different right from its starting titles. Enough has been spoken about the film, its director and its approach. Infact, Rajeev Masand, a critic I respect says this is probably another movie in the league of Satya and Dil Chahta Hai. Probably, I might've included Swades and Taare Zameen Par in the list myself but I do agree with Masand. Like them then, it breaks every possible inhibition about an Indian film.

A brief idea of what the film deals with. If you've seen the promos, you'd realise that this is about videos and the power of a camera. There are three different tracks each dealing with how video footage can be exploited and how much of an integral part of our lives are cameras. The three tracks are brilliantly interwoven that you wouldn't realise the link until the very end. All the actors are new, there are no songs and most of the cinema seems to have been shot with Camcorders. I thought the first track resembled a lot of Paranormal Activity. Hand held cameras, jerky movements and uncompromising angles. Nothing more can be told more about the plot without ruining it for the viewer. So, I'll not disclose any more details. By the end of the film, you will be startled by what has just unfolded infront of you.

What LSD will do to the industry is this. It will prove that, no matter how mad a story might sound, how unconventional, if the director has the skill, courage and confidence to pull it off, its going to be a massive success. There are some amazing crisp dialogue and impressive performances by what is probably a first time cast. But there's something in the film that stands out, its honesty. Unlike all those films we see, which on the surface are clean family entertainers but are forces of negative energy, LSD is refreshingly original. It is not hypocritical. DB is never scared throughout the movie, never compromises and never really cares if it will end up making money. He does what he does best. He makes a film which is provocative, engaging and truly out of the box.

Kudos DB. And thank you for that engaging piece of Indian Cinema.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen LSD. But I will after reading your comment. If you really wish to see a film showing the power and impact of the video camera, see a film called "American Gigolo"..

Unknown said...

I am sorry. The name of the film is Auto Focus and not American Gigolo. Both films are master pieces of Paul Schrader.

sirish aditya said...

I'll watch them. Thanks.